Saturday, April 21, 2012

Eric Kim / Street Photographer - Talk - University of NSW / Sydney (Fri 20 Apr 2012)

Jo and I attended a talk (*) by Eric Kim (*) hosted by the University of NSW Photoclub (*).

Eric is a young (just 24 years old) and enthusiastic street photographer and blogger (been following him for a while now), and a great presenter. The talk was well attended with at least 300-400 people attending and Eric was treated like a Rockstar.

Eric Kim - The Flyer - UNSW (Fri 20 Apr 2012)

The 2 hour presentation was split into two parts with a brief break where Eric was more than happy to photographed with anyone and by anyone who had a camera, and there were a few.

Part of of talk included a slide show of some his Projects with some background to the photos. I hoped he would present the flyer photo and for me it was about the hands.I waited for him to do the obvious with his hands. When the obvious moment came, I pressed my shutter release and I heard a couple of other shutters open and close at the same time.

Eric explained the importance of watching for expressions, gestures and hand movements to create an engaging photo. This is often reinforced to me when I watch a speech or media conference and you will only hear the voice of the presenter, and when a gesture is made, most often with the hands, the voice is often overwhelmed by the sounds of the assembled media pack shutters, and the strobe-like effect of the flashes.

Eric Kim - The Hands - UNSW (Fri 20 Apr 2012)

At the end of the talk, the Camera Club's Committee presented Eric with a copy of the Bruce Davidson (*) book titled Subway (*). I flicked through the book after meeting Eric and I would highly recommend it and it is now on my wish list.

Eric Kim - - UNSW (Fri 20 Apr 2012)

While Jo and I waited to meet with Eric after the talk and book presentation, I grabbed a couple of photos of Eric. The one at end of this post I feel is best as I have captured Eric in a moment where he is not performing for the camera.

In some ways I feel I have captured the part of Eric where he struggles with his new found, and well deserved, celebrity status. As he said in reply to a question towards the end of the talk, he found traveling rewarding and at the same time very challenging, mentioning the impact it had on him physically, mentally and spiritually.

Eric, thanks for the great talk and inspiration you provide to 1000's of people across the world. Your success is well deserved and I wish you all the best as you pursue your dreams.

Geoff, Eric and Jo - Jo shows Eric perfect holdout photo technique with the only holdout photo of the night with Eric - UNSW (Fri 20 Apr 2012)

Eric Kim - Reflection - UNSW (Fri 20 Apr 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment